Sunday, November 01, 2009

My Vignette!!

I have been posting a lot of my writings on this blog (my fifth grade research paper), I made a vignette a couple of weeks ago. I thought I would post it. I am pretty proud of it.
A vignette is a story that just introduces the character or has something happen, but does not finish the story. It can, but it is not as common. A vignette also does not follow the same formula (beginning, middle...) as a story.
I just want you to know, I changed the names of the people to protect their identity.
With all of that said, here is my vignette:

Neighbor

Mrs Brinks sits inside her old house listening; always listening. Until she hears us children yelling, yelling as joyfully as small children on Christmas Day. The old, gray haired woman wobbles out of her house with her mahogany cane to the tattered wooden fence next to the faded play structure. "Your brats are being too loud!", with her crinkled old lips she screams, her voice scratchy. Her gray hair is just above the fence line now. "Don't make me call the police" she threatens. The old neighbor was lonely. She was as lonely as the last piece of greenery before the barren harshness of winter. Daddy responds to her yell with kind words. He knows she has children and grandchildren who never visit her and a husband up above. " We will be more quiet. My apologies, Mrs Brinks," my father says to her. "Don't let it happen again, Samuel." Mrs Brinks says as she wobbles away. Like heavy fog, her loneliness surrounds her. Into her cold, depressed, gray house she enters.

2 comments:

Tom Owen said...

Wow, I am so impressed with your writing! Every time i read this I get goose bumps!

XOD

Janet Owen said...

So well done. I feel her lonliness